Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hoot's Thursday Things

I sent Richie a message thanking him for forwarding an email from a reader that was none too pleased with my links last week to the Empower Network.

I thanked him because the email made me laugh so hard.



Now I won't call the reader out by name but I am going to post what he wrote to Richie because I have a few things to say in response to it.

I don't know why he emailed Richie instead of me. I guess he didn't want me to see what he thinks of me.

Haha!!! Richie has my back people. He may not agree with everything I write or do on here but that is what makes this site great. We can share our own thoughts, ideas, opinions, etc. freely and if you don't like it, oh well.

Anyhow here is the email exchange between the reader and Richie:

On Nov 4, 2011, at 3:23 PM, "TDC reader" wrote:

Hi,

Did you get hacked?  Or did you let some insane person post a link to their bull shit infomercial?  I've been reading and enjoying your blog for years.  How did this idiot get on your website?  I wasted 30 minutes listening to his bullshit.  

If this is real, why aren't you doing it?

signed TDC reader

------

Then Richie replied with: On Fri, 11/4/11, Rich Fowler wrote:

From: Rich Fowler
Subject: Re: Brian Pinski
To: "TDC reader"
Date: Friday, November 4, 2011, 3:31 PM

Brian Pinski is Hoot and he has been doing the Thursday column for years .

------
Next was the reader's reply:
From: TDC Reader
Date: November 4, 2011 3:39:47 PM EDT
To: Rich Fowler
Subject: Re: Brian Pinski
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I love his posts.  But that infomercial about a pyramid scam killed me.  Great idea though, blogging as a pyramid scam is a great new spin on an old art.  I would sign up, but I already took the Tom Vu seminar.

I really enjoy the blog and all the posts.  Keep it up!

signed TDC reader

---------

Richie forwarded that to me telling me he got that from one of my fans, lol.


--------------------------------

Again thanks Rich for sending that it still cracks me up.

Now to address said TDC reader:

I thought long and hard about how to respond to this.

I first thought I should just act low like you did in calling me names and call you something similar or worse back, yet I realize that doing that is beneath me.

I refuse to sink to that level of being inconsiderate to another human being.

Sure call me an insane person and an idiot. Doesn't bother me one bit.

My question to you is that if you found it to be such bullshit why did you watch it for 30 minutes???

A suggestion to you also would be to do some research as to exactly what a pyramid scheme is. The Empower Network and the blogging system that goes along with it are far from that. It is a legitimate business model that has so far paid out over $500,000 total to the people that have joined.

--------------




For reference: A pyramid scheme is a non-sustainable business model that involves promising participants payment or services, primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, rather than supplying any real investment or sale of products or services to the public.

A successful pyramid scheme combines a fake yet seemingly credible business with a simple-to-understand yet sophisticated-sounding money-making formula which is used for profit. The essential idea is that a "con artist" Mr. X, makes only one payment. To start earning, Mr. X has to recruit others like him who will also make one payment each. Mr. X gets paid out of receipts from those new recruits. They then go on to recruit others. As each new recruit makes a payment, Mr. X gets a cut. He is thus promised exponential benefits as the "business" expands.
Such "businesses" seldom involve sales of real products or services to which a monetary value might be easily attached. However, sometimes the "payment" itself may be a non-cash valuable. To enhance credibility, most such scams are well equipped with fake referrals, testimonials, and information. The flaw is that there is no end benefit. The money simply travels up the chain. Only the originator (sometimes called the "pharaoh") and a very few at the top levels of the pyramid make significant amounts of money. The amounts dwindle steeply down the pyramid slopes. Individuals at the bottom of the pyramid (those who subscribed to the plan, but were not able to recruit any followers themselves) end up with a deficit.

-----------
Heck from that definition above you can pretty much call Social Security a pyramid scheme. Now I know tons of people have received money back from that system for many years but for people that are younger and paying into it now I highly doubt they will ever receive anything of value in return. Not with the way our government runs itself and can't balance it's own budget. To top it off people don't have a choice to not be involved in that system.

-------

The Empower Network is providing a blogging platform to people that join.

Now you may say that there are free blogging services out there and there are. The problem with free ones is that you don't actually control the blog. Yes you can put whatever you want on the site but if the company that is running the site does not like it they can shut you down at any time. The other option then is to set up a self hosted blog and that costs money. It also involves a person having a decent amount of technical know how to get it set up and running and to maintain it.

With Empower Network they are eliminating the need for individuals to have to get their own domain name and then pay monthly hosting fees. They are also eliminating a huge majority of the technical know how side of things. So for that they do charge a monthly fee. Hence there is a legitimate product that people receive in return for the money they pay.

-------

On a last note to said TDC reader:

I do appreciate the fact that you said you do like my posts. Thank you! I also fully appreciate and understand that you are your own person and have your own opinions.

I just don't appreciate being called an idiot and an insane person when what I was promoting is in fact an actual business model that was well researched on all of it's legalities well before it was released to the public.

There are many ways to react to different situations yet I find that most reactions are off base. Put in some due diligence before calling someone out on something based on hyperbole that get tossed around like the laundry in a washing machine.



That is all I have today.

Welcome to The NEW Daily Column!!